Pineapple Upside Down Minis – A classic cake gets individual! Perfect for parties and easy to make, 5 ingredients is all it takes! The combination of mouth-watering caramelized sugar, sweet pineapple and cherries on buttery cake is sure to please.
- 2 cans (20 oz. each) DOLE® Pineapple Slices
- 1/3 cup butter or margarine, melted
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 9 maraschino cherries, cut in half
- 1 package (2-layer) yellow or pineapple-flavored cake mix
- Drain pineapple; reserve juice. Reserve 2 pineapple slices for another use.
- Stir together melted butter and brown sugar. Evenly divide sugar mixture into 18 (2/3 cup*) muffin cups sprayed with cooking spray. Lightly press well-drained pineapple slices into sugar mixture. Place cherries in center of pineapple, sliced side up.
- Prepare cake mix according to the package directions, replacing amount of water called for with reserved juice. Pour 1/4 cup to 1/3 cup batter into each muffin cup.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Cool 5 minutes. Loosen edges and invert onto cookie sheets.
- *NOTE: If muffin cup is smaller than 2/3 cup, it will not be large enough to hold pineapple slice and batter.
- TIP: Cakes may be served with Pineapple Caramel Sauce. Combine 8 oz. DOLE Crushed Pineapple, 1/4 cup heavy cream, 1 cup brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons butter in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat. When sauce has cooled, blend in a blender or food processor until smooth.